March 6, 2012

Bread & Eggs

I made bread for our midweek Lenten soup thing today. Well, technically, I'm currently making bread. Well, probably more technically, the yeast is currently making bread. It's not going to be ready for the morning session, but it will for the evening session. (Backup plan for the morning session is frozen rolls that bake up in 7-9 minutes. Much faster than the stuff I'm currently working on.)

This particular bread recipe, though, calls for (what feels like) 27 dozen egg whites. Which leaves one (me) with slightly more than 27 dozen egg yellows. (Turns out my kitchen doesn't have an egg splitter, so I had to use the shell method which I'm not exactly good at.) So, I had scrambled eggs for breakfast! But who wants plain ol' scrambled yellows? So I played my favorite cooking game: smell this spice and maybe add it! So I had scrambled eggs with Old Bay Seasoning. But I figured, the Old Bay can have a bit of a bite, so I threw in some dill weed. And because it was so many yellows (okay, 5 yellows and one white: a heart attack for breakfast, perhaps), I added a smidge of milk, to help things out. All in all, pretty good.

Now I have to go check on the rising, deflate, and wait for rising again. I'm a little worried, since the yeast/sugar/water mixture at the beginning of the process didn't actually get "creamy" as the recipe requested. (I prefer to think of recipes as "requesting" actions, rather than "telling" or "demanding"... it makes cooking more flexible!)

No comments: